- My friends and my neighbors, have drawn near and stood against me.
- I was delivered up and came not forth, my eyes languished through poverty.
- And my sweat became as drops of blood, trickling down upon the ground.
- For many dogs have encompassed me, the council of the malignant hath besieged me.
- I have given my body to the strikers; and my checks to them that plucked them.
- I have not turned away my face from them that rebuked me, and spat upon me.
- For I am ready for scourges, and my sorrow is continually before me.
- The soldiers platting a crown of thorns, placed upon my head.
- They have dug my hands and my feet, they have numbered all my bones.
- And they gave gall for my food, and in my thirst they gave me vinegar to drink.
- All they that saw me laughed me to scorn; they have spoken with their lips, and wagged their heads.
- They have looked and stared upon me, they parted my garments amongst them, and upon my vesture they cast lots.
- Into thy hands I commend my spirit; thou hast redeemed me, O God of truth.
- Be mindful, O Lord, of Thy servants; when Thou shalt come into Thy kingdom.
- And Jesus having cried out with a loud voice, gave up the ghost.
A longer pause is made here.
- The mercies of the Lord, I will sing for all eternity.
- Surely He hath borne our infirmities, and carried our sorrows.
- He was wounded for our iniquities; He was bruised for our sins.
- All we like sheep have gone astray, every one hath turned aside into his own way.
- For the Lord hath placed upon him the iniquities of us all.
- Arise, why sleepest Thou, O Lord? arise, and cast us not off the end.
- Behold, God is my Saviour, I will deal confidently, and will not fear.
- We beseech Thee, O Lord, help Thy servants, whom thou hast redeemed with Thy precious blood.
V. Have mercy on us, O loving Jesus.
R. Who in Thy mercy didst suffer for us.
Look down, we beseech Thee, O Lord, upon Thy family, for which our Lord Jesus Christ did not refuse to be delivered into the hands of the wicked, and to endure the torment of the cross.